samedi 24 octobre 2015

Huaraz Part Two: Flying the big stuff

So after our little stay in the family the time had come to go explore these beautiful mountains from the sky.
We got super enthusiastic after seeing an amazing flight by the Kiwi Nick Neynens (X Alps pilot) that had done 177km in the Huaraz valley only 15days before:
The tracklog

Calling different people to get information on flying around Huaraz we had heard all sort of scary stories about how strong the conditions could be in the valley. So we went to speak to Beto Sottelo, the owner of a mountaineering company (Monttrek recommended if you go hiking in Huaraz) and only pilot in the area. Beto was super interesting, an "old" pilot with a lot of stories and knowledge. He gave us many tips for flying the valley.

We decided to approach the flying there with care starting with early morning flights to test the area. The first day we did only a top to bottom. But it was good to be in the air in this place that we had head so much about. The conditions where fairly turbulent with punchy bubbles passing through giving an idea of what a strong day could be like.

Take Off near the gold mine above Jangas

On day 2 we came back to the same flying site (near the gold mine above Jangas). The conditions were good once again even if we were supposed to be in the rainy season. I think we got really lucky with the weather and speaking with people (pilots, farmers, moutaineers) it seems that it was some kind of change in the climate (global warming signs??? maybe).


We took off a little more relaxed than the first day and I managed to climb out in broken lift. After a little bit I was flying over the massive gold mine and started to make my way towards Huaraz following the black cordillera.

Gold Mine
Huaraz in the distance 

Getting to Huaraz
Unfortunately the white cordillera was covered with clouds so we didn't get the view. I finally bagged a little XC of 20km which was more than expected.
The tracklog

White cordillera in the clouds
For the following days we decided to go explore another side of the valley. So we based ourselves in Caraz, a village located 70km north of Huaraz which is a nice alternative base for moutaineering in the area.
There we had the plan to try a spot which offers a top to bottom of 2000m !!!!
So in the morning we climbed the mountain on the vertiginous road leading to Pamparomas. As we were climbing we got a little nervous, impressed by how massive the mountain was. Finally the collective taxi dropped us at the top. We were just at the limit of the cloud. We really didn't know if this was a good idea, if we would be able to take off or if we would have to wait all day to get a car down from this mountain.

Let's go flying!
After a very short walk we got to the other side of the mountain and we were releived to see the valley. What a spot we had reach! A perfect breeze, the clouds lifting and 2000m before reching the valley bottom. A paragliding dream.

Take Off
Geo getting ready
I quickly managed to find a thermal, but being almost at cloud base on take off I didn't go much higher. So I took the decision to go towards the black cordillera in order to start to make my way towards Huaraz.

Going straight ahead


A bird showed me the way and I carried out on the black cordillera flying passed Yungay.


Then it was pretty straight forward till the sky started to get cloudy and forced me to land.

Spot the fireworks

Landing field in Carhuaz

Friends on landing
Finally another good day with a 35km flight.

Morning routine: the market
Going to work
Next day next flight and one of the most scary paragliding experienced I had. This day we missed the bus to the massive mountain site so we went to a lower spot on the other side of the valley: Pan de Azucar. Found a nice take off and waited for the day to start working.



Take Off
Ready for a good flight
The flight started really well, we found thermals straight away and we flew together for a while.


Then I lost Geo and started to take the same route as I took the day before.

Yungay
Caraz
After a while I found myself in the exact same postion as the day before, with a large valley to cross. The issue is that with the route I had chosen I was separated from the main valley by a massive high tension powerline that runs on the whole cordillera. I tried to make the crossing but got caught in massive sink till the point I found myself too low to pass the powerline. At this point I realised that there was two other powerlines, one behind me and a low one, all crossing the deep valley leaving no landing options, I was trapped! To help me with things I got quite a substantial collapse, definitely NOT the place to be.
My only option was to make my way under the high tension cables crossing the deep valley and over the other smaller cables. Scary! I did turns to loose altitude trying to gauge if I would pass under the high tension cables but still make it over the other cables. A pilot's nightmare.
Finally I managed to pass in the middle and landed on a football pitch like nothing happened.

This was definitely the scariest moment in my paragliding experience and an error. I shouldn't have found myself in this position. Sometimes near misses like this are good to re-evaluate how much risk you are willing to take when doing cross country paragliding.


We finished this flying week with a beautiful flight from the high mountain spot. Playing in the clouds in the early morning. Not a long distance flight but one of these magic paragliding moment.






Spot Geo





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire